SchooltoPrison.org provides a password-protected forum for impact litigators, direct services attorneys and other legal advocates across the nation to share ideas and strategies to challenge the push-out of children from schools and into the juvenile and criminal justice systems.
With the common goal of challenging the school-to-prison pipeline, members of the community can exchange litigation, policy, legislative, and organizing strategies and resources among allies. The site brings together experts from disparate legal fields including juvenile justice, educational rights, racial justice, disabilities' rights, immigrants' rights, and children's rights.
SchooltoPrison.org features the following functions --- Library, List Serve, Calendar, and News Items --- allowing members to share information relating to the following substantive topic areas:
- Discipline and Exclusions--- challenges to suspensions and expulsions, policing in schools, zero-tolerance, school pushouts, and discipline of students with special needs.
- Disciplinary Alternative Education --- right to alternative education for suspended or expelled youth, quality of alternative education, procedural rights, and right to reenter mainstream schools.
- Juvenile Defenders' Motions Bank --- motions and briefs filed in juvenile courts
- Court-Involved Youth and Juvenile Justice--- right to education for court-involved youth, juvenile re-entry, disproportionate minority confinement, conditions of confinement, shackling and restraints, and procedural rights.
- Students with Disabilities & Special Education--- Full range of rights under the IDEA,Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, the ADA and the Medicaid Act.
- Discrimination in Schools --- discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation and other claims.
- English Language Learner (ELL) Students --- Services for ELL students as well as translation and interpretation for students and their parents.
- Homeless Students --- delivery of educational services to homeless children and youth.
- Students in Foster Care --- Delivery of educational services to children and youth in foster care.
- General Education Issues --- Catch-all category currently featuring information on right to education and educational equity.
- Human Rights --- Framing the school to prison pipeline issues within the guidelines of Human Rights instruments.
For instructions on using this site, including on browsing or searching the Library, posting new documents, using the Listserv, adding a Calendar item, or posting a News item, click here.
For more information about SchooltoPrison.org, click here.
Welcome to the newly redesigned SchooltoPrison.org, which features RSS feeds and library searches that are easier and faster to use. For access to the library, news and calendar pages, please log in. If you have any questions about how to navigate SchooltoPrison.org, you can visit the Help Page for more information.